Thursday, March 30, 2006

*Superstitions*

Superstition is a set of behaviors that are related to magical thinking, whereby the practitioner believes that the future, or the outcome of certain events, can be influenced by certain specified behaviors.

I opened my dashboard only to see that the number of posts I had up on this blog were 13. Like most people I consider 13 a very unlucky number. I'm not quite sure why though. When I was in school playing cricket Id make sure Id get of 13 quickly, coz of the fear of getting out. Watching the opposition play with someone at 13, I would hope it proved unlucky for them. Of course there are so many more instances where I've seen the number 13 and considered it unlucky. Even though there's a history behind the number being unlucky I draw the difference at a point where even though I don't know why its unlucky, I just simply feel it is.
The fear of the number 13 is called triskaidekaphobia. Damn, I dint even know a word like that existed. Looking at this paragraph on a whole now and mentioning that number more than once is actually inching me closer to the fear of that word, which is excruciating to pronounce.

How much can we actually rely on these superstitions? More so, why do we rely on them and believe in them so much? How significant are they really? I've never asked myself these questions before. Its like the greater forces I believe in that exist. Forces, which cannot be scientifically proved. Something we've never seen touched or heard before, but believe or have faith in.

One of my closest friends the General and I, strongly believe in black cats crossing our path. In our history together and the future that's ahead we never have and never will cross the path of a black cat. When its happened to us before we've just simply waited for someone else to cross that path before us. Yes its mean to pass our bad luck on to someone else. But its the only way we'd get peace of mind. On other occasions in the middle of the night when there's only us on the road, we've taken drastic steps to turn the car around and head another way. Of course with the General around its always tough to handle these sorta situations especially since he's extra paranoid about any colored cat that crosses the road. Something I'll never understand. Black cats, yes. But any colored cat and his incomprehensible ideology, no.

There are other superstitions that give me second thoughts.
Sneezing whilst just before leaving . If I sneeze immediately after that its okay. Otherwise I would like to wait a couple of minutes.
Idealistically I wouldnt like to open an umbrella indoors.
How a crow's faeces falling on me can be a good sign, I simply do not get. It makes me feel icky rather than lucky.
I am obsessed with the number 9.

But most of all...
I Touch Wood for everything. If I were to count the number of times I touch wood everyday and for what not, well I'd simply loose count. No wood around and Im tapping my head away.
Im pretty sure if the head option was'nt there id be carrying a piece of wood around with me. Btax and the General do as well, but I guess they're not as drastic as I am.
So I guess I do believe that by touching wood, the future or the outcome of certain events can most definitely be influenced.

I do not fully understand why people believe in superstitions. Maybe its a comfort you get out of knowing thats theres a greater good out there looking out for you. Its the comfort we get out of knowing that there is something greater than us that helps determine the consequences we're faced with or the good luck that'll befall us.

Whatever it is, I dont think I'll ever know and to me it'll always be one of life's greatest mysteries.

No comments: